Custom Search

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Twin-flower


Linnaea borealis (Gronov.) L. var. Longiflora Torr.
While out at Durrance Lake on the weekend, I chanced across one of my favorite wild flowers, the diminutive Twin-flower. I cannot do better than to share a few quotes from Lewis J. Clark's description in his Wild flowers of British Columbia:

How to write the charms of this exquisite woodlander? Perhaps in no more impressive way than to call attention to the fact that of all the thousands of plants known to him, this was the favourite flower of the great Carolus Linnaeus. And so Fredrik Gronovius, once his benefactor in Holland, in 1737 named the monotypic genus to honour his illustrious pupil.

This dainty plant spreads long runners creeping over the moss, or trailing from rotting logs or stumps, from which at frequent intervals rise 2-4 inch stems. These fork at the top, each branch supporting a single trumpet - a demure, pink, rose-flushed and slender bell. Where a patch of sunlight reaches the forest floor, an elfin troupe of hundreds of these exquisite little flowers fills the still air with an incredible sweetness - surely one of the most enchanting of all plant fragrances.

2 comments:

Jabba said...

I love the Twin Flower too, I believe it's also native to British Columbia - an added bonus.

ms toast burner said...

Very pretty.

I've seen them many times but I've never actually smelled one! I'm putting that on my to do list.