Custom Search

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fernwood Evening Market

If you're a vegetarian you will know the "poor child standing with nose pressed against glass of expensive toy store" longing that typically rises when a vision such as these cupcakes appears, since they are usually made with eggs.

"These wouldn't be vegan, would they?" I asked.

"Oh yes," was the reply and the last chocolate peanut butter dream was on its way to my mouth before she was finished speaking.These magnificent cupcakes were encountered at the Fernwood Evening Market, held every Tuesday in the Fernwood community square. I haven't written much about Fernwood although it is one of my favorite parts of Victoria and I lived there for some years while I was going to university. In the 1970s it was probably the neighborhood of choice for hippies and it still has a lot of the same flavor. The evening market was delightfully relaxed and pleasant, with crafts and fresh veggies for sale as well as cupcakes, mellow music provided by a very capable trio, kids and dogs running around and people sitting around eating and chatting. The square is also home to the Belfry Theater that we will be seeing a little more of in days to come.

8 comments:

Laurie Allee said...

That last shot with the bubbles and the running boy... too fabulous! I think I would like Fernwood. It looks like my kind of place.

I really enjoy your blog.

bitingmidge said...

Vegan Cupcakes!

It's a shame the internet hasn't got to the point where I can touch things, because I just want to drag my finger across that frosting!

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

nobu said...

Each photo is colorful.

Victor said...

When I saw the cupcakes thumbnail on the Daily Portal I thought maybe they were in the window at Murchies. My wife is going to Victoria today and I was suddenly jealous. Don't know the Fernwood area but we will explore it someday. Thanks Benjamin.

Kim said...

This is lovely to see and learn of, Benjamin. And I hope you enjoyed that cupcake as much as I enjoyed seeing them all. Does this market end when the rains come or does it go on all year? I don't know a thing about the area near the U, so this was interesting to me. I'm coming up for a concert at the U October 4 and hope to do a little exploring there while I'm up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

USelaine said...

I love the rose idea, and they're all enticing (with such icing?). A university always adds so much creative culture to a city.

Knoxville Girl said...

I would eat the ones labeled Pink Sugar just because of truth in advertising. This is a great set of shots; makes me want to explore the scene!

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks all for your kind comments. The cupcake really was delicious - totally melt-in-your-mouth good.

Kim I don't know if the market is year round but I suspect so - I imagine that if the weather is bad nobody comes (these are sensible people after all). As for what to see in Victoria, one thing you will find very different from Seattle or Vancouver, for examples, is that Victoria is very small and most of the things I photograph are within walking distance of the Inner Harbour - a good place to start. Walk from there to Fisherman's wharf and thence along Dallas Road to Beacon Hill Park and through that to Cook Street village where there are several pubs, restaurants and coffee-houses (including my favorite Starbucks, if you're feeling homesick) where you can rusticate with the locals.

I should also mention that while I lived in Fernwood while attending university, it is not really a university neighborhood. The university is about a half-hour's bike ride distant.