Custom Search

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Belfry Theatre

In an earlier post I mentioned the Belfry Theatre and here it is. What is now a theatre was formerly a church, dedicated in 1887 as the Spring Ridge Chapel and Schoolhouse (Baptist). As you can see it has been beautifully restored and is a part of the Fernwood community in a way that few theatres are. In the 1970's it was the home of Cool-Aid, a drop-in center providing services to dropped out or strung out adolescents. As the Fernwood community developed and Cool-Aid's services expanded the building became more of a cultural center and Cool-Aid moved downtown.You can find out more about the Belfry by clicking HERE.

4 comments:

Wayne said...

I've been to several plays at the Belfry. Sometimes I would go over for a weekend and other times I would go for the day and come home on the last ferry.
The theatre space is intimate and charming. I particularly like the roofline detail shot.

Knoxville Girl said...

Benjamin, the Belfry looks lovely on the outside. Are the acoustics good?

Benjamin Madison said...

Wayne, thanks for your comment - I grew up in Vancouver - from the fifties to the seventies and I enjoy your blog a lot.

KG, I (blush) have never actually been to a performance at the Belfry.

melanie said...

Ce quartier semble bien calme et la couleur du bois lui donne une chaleur de bon aloi.