Custom Search

Friday, August 29, 2008

Beacon Hill Park Children's Zoo

The Muscovy DuckAnother visit to the Beacon Hill Park Children's Zoo, which I visited previously to photograph the alpaca. We went to see the new litter of Vietnamese Potbellied Pigs, just about the cutest little critters ever. However I failed to get a good picture of them so you'll have to be satisfied with this Muscovy Duck which, despite its name, has nothing to do with Moscow. It was domesticated by Native Americans before Columbus arrived on these shores and, while it swims and feeds like other ducks, it also often chooses to roost in trees like a chicken. Stay tuned, I want to introduce you to the goats tomorrow.

5 comments:

USelaine said...

I've never seen anything like it! So it's native to Canada? Beautiful.

I love goats. Looking forward to goats.

Unknown said...

That's beautiful! Two days ago I've posted his 'cousins', but know nothing about them...

Benjamin Madison said...

Elaine, Muscovy ducks are native to the tropical Americas though feral populations have since naturalized themselves throughout North America, according to Wikipedia.

JM - they're called Muscovy because they were introduced to Europe by the Muscovy Company. Wikipedia has a good article about them.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Just an amazing duck - although, it might scare me if I saw on in person without warning.

Benjamin Madison said...

boise diva - yes, this is definitely one duck you don't want to meet in a dark alley.