Custom Search

Friday, January 4, 2013

Ongoing Mystery

I first posted a photo of this wonderful fungus in December a couple of years ago. I continue to be intrigued by this species' wonderful color and texture whenever I see one. They glow like little odd-shaped icicles among the moss. However, I am no closer to identifying them than I was two years ago so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Site visitor Ken Meadows has kindly identified this mushroom as Pseudohydnum gelatinosum. It's also known as toothed jelly fungus, false hedgehog mushroom, and white jelly mushroom. It's edible and also may have some medicinal uses. Thanks Ken!

7 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Never seen anything like that in my neck of the woods.

Anonymous said...

Hi Benjamin,
It looks like you've found a lovely specimen of Pseudohydnum gelatinosum. Common names are Jelly False Tooth and False Hydnum. It's an edible species but if I remember correctly has very little flavour.

Ken Meadows

JoJo said...

Ooo that's really bizarre! Fungus, as a whole, bums me out.

William Kendall said...

It certainly looks like an icicle, particularly in the thumbnail.

Benjamin Madison said...

JoJo, Learn to love fungi! William K. - yes they really look icy.
Ken Meadows - thank you very much for putting a name to this wonderful little fungus.

Benjamin Madison said...

Stefan - from what I can read on this mushroom they are native to the western coast of North America.

Stephanie said...

What an unusual looking mushroom. Love the closeup of the moss greenery.