Custom Search

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Force

Completing a year of daily posts has been a good discipline. The requirement to produce a photo and some text every day has been a little demanding but the pressure has helped me to get past obstacles that might otherwise have stopped my progress. The downside is that sometimes one posts a photo that one knows is not good enough, just because one has nothing else. Another disadvantage is that one begins to get repetitive - it's easier to produce what one has done before than it is to stretch out and try some new things that may turn out hopelessly bad. (In fact, when one tries new things at least a few always turn out bad.) However, one of my resolutions for this next year of Victoria Daily Photo is to explore some new (for me) aspects of image-making. One of the new things I've been wanting to try is the combination of text and image as in the Dylan Thomas quote above.

5 comments:

Priyanka Khot said...

Thank you so much for the wishes and your frequent visits.

A very Happy Birthday to Victoria Daily Photo!

Your photos have the power to take me all the way to Canada, where incidentally one of my best friend also lives. She got married last year and moved to Calgary.

Diederick Wijmans said...

I really enjoyed looking at your photos and the idea to combine photos and text is excellent.
Welcome into a new year of new photos!!
Diederick

Bernard said...

Keep it up, I am really enjoying it. Most blogs are rants or just bad rambling, you are doing something different.

Often the images make me think about some aspect of this city that I had not been thinking off.

Petrea Burchard said...

Congratulations on your year, Benjamin. I'm glad you're going to try stuff. Why not? You were the one who told me people come to the blog because of me, not just because of Pasadena. Your words freed me. So I'll come to see you and what you create.

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks Priyanka and Diederick - I look forward to many more visits to your blogs as well.

Bernard, I am glad to hear that you think I'm contributing a little to the local scene, though I think you're a much better commentator on Victoria than I am.

Petrea, your visits and comments are always welcome, and thanks for reminding me that I shouldn't be defensive about taking my own advice when I hand it out so freely.