Custom Search

Friday, October 19, 2012

Sequoias in Victoria

The natural range of the species Sequoia sempervirens (Giant Redwood) doesn't extend beyond southern Oregon but a number of these glorious trees have been planted in Victoria and seem to be thriving. Above is one that is located on Gorge Road. There are others - one on Moss Street, another in front of the Legislature, several in Beacon Hill Park and one on the grounds of Hatley Castle. I suspect there are others. Several more are noted on Ross Crockford's fascinating blog, Unknown Victoria. This tree species includes the tallest trees on earth and they live for very long periods of time (1,200 to 1,800 years). I stopped to photograph this one because I was attracted to its near-perfect symmetry.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

I brought one north with me from California; it was a tiny seedling sold at Muir Woods that we had as a potted plant and couldn't bear to leave behind. So I planted it in my yard in WA & it thrived.