Custom Search

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Gazebo

I think I will begin to collect local examples of gazebos because it is an interesting word and an unusual kind of structure. This particular gazebo is on the West Bay Walkway and is pictured here today because I just noticed that it has been given a new roof during the summer. The word gazebo has quite an un-English sound to it but it is not borrowed from any other language nor is its origin known. The term gazebo includes various sub-types such as pergolas, rotundas and follies. The essential charactistics of a gazebo is that it is a circular building that is roofed but open on all sides and has no purpose other than to provide a sheltered spot for people to rest in the outdoors.

3 comments:

Mike Laplante said...

I see a jogger in your photo.

When I worked at the Navy base, I would run to the Blue Bridge and back over my lunch hours. I know this structure well...

JoJo said...

Pretty foliage started too.

Stefan Jansson said...

Sure is a fine autumn scene.