Custom Search

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Swallowed Anchor 2

A couple of years ago I posted a photo of this quaint house opposite the West Bay Marina. I took another photo of it yesterday when I was going for breakfast at the Queen Mary Restaurant at the Marina. The house is looking rather more decrepit now and anyone who wants to see it should make a visit to the West Bay Marina soon. It is slated for demolition. HERE is a good article about the history and future of this unusual old house. The name of the house, The Swallowed Anchor, is nautical lingo. To "swallow the anchor" means to retire from a life of sailing.

8 comments:

Dean Lewis said...

A delightful piece of large-scale folk art, this house deserves some kind of heritage designation/protection.
It is pure fun.

Jack said...

Demolition? No!!! This is an absolute marvel. Go start a protest demonstration.

Stefan Jansson said...

Wow. Spectacular. I will read the article now.

msdewberry said...

Oh no, not demolition?? I love this house and have many pictures of it. I visit it with my brother every time I am over in Victoria. It is too bad it can't be saved. Or moved or something. It's unique and creative and imaginative. I remember the first time I took photos of it, I was sure someone would come running out and yell at me! I'll sign a petition to save it!!

RedPat said...

Too bad it couldn't be incorporated into the new development! I hope some of the pieces are used.

Anonymous said...

I love this little old house - such character, just like its previous owner. I'm glad you snapped a photo before they tear it down.

JoJo said...

What a shame to hear they are going to tear it down. I hope it's saved!

Eve Lazarus said...

Thanks for the update. I never thought to ask what swallowed anchor meant.