Custom Search

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wigeons

When I was much younger and lived in a rural area I liked to do a little bird watching from time to time. I also did a little when I lived in Africa but of late, living as I now do in an urban environment I have pretty much ignored the birds on the assumption that the most interesting ones were hiding out in distant forests. I have featured some of our more common city birds on this blog: seagulls, pigeons (Rock Doves), crows, Mallard Ducks, the Great Blue Heron, Hooded Mergansers, and recently, a House Finch. But lately my interest in birding was challenged and resuscitated when I found out that there are over 100 species of birds that can be seen in Victoria and its environs.Above (foreground) is a new acquaintance, the Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope). He's visiting here from much further north and spending some time with his relatives, the American Wigeons (Anas americana)(in the background above and, more clearly, pictured below). These were photographed in Beacon Hill Park a few days ago.

2 comments:

Mike Laplante said...

Hi, came across your site via Victoria Visions. Check it every day, inspired me to re-start my own dormant photo-blog.

If you want to see interesting birds, walk around Swan Lake here in Saanich sometime. The first year we lived here a family of quail took up residence in our yard. Lots of other intriguing birds here too - hummingbirds, red-wing blackbirds, waxwings, plus some HUGE eagles and hawks that hover over the lake.

Keep it up -- you have a following...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.