Custom Search

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Ducklike Object Surprises Grumpy Blogger

I was grumping along today under these unremitting gray skies doing the "been there, done that" litany with occasional riffs of "same old, same old" and dropped down below the Westsong Walkway to see if could photograph some grass (I'm that desperate for green) and not the kind of grass you smoke but the kind you walk on. I was envisioning grass and rocks and ocean combined in a simple yet unique and profound shot that would somehow express the exact opposite of the boredom and mild despair creeping over me. The little plot of bright green I'd seen from a distance proved on closer examination to have recently been grazed by a flock of Canada Geese whose thickly scattered droppings caused a brief fit of cynical nodding and muttered curses. While scraping my shoes off with a handy bit of driftwood I heard a cascade of splashy plops along with some low grunting quack-like noises, and looked up to see a small flock of Hooded Mergansers dropping into the small bay just in front of me, looking as if they were just minted, fresh-made, so crisp and clean. I've never seen a Hooded Merganser before and I hope you enjoy the one above as much as I did.

12 comments:

USelaine said...

How crisp and elegant his plumage is! And such a distinguished profile!

Your storytelling is a delight. 8^) Do please cheer up, or we'll be putting you on a suicide watch!

Babzy.B said...

Waou... this bird is beautiful ! How lucky you were to meet it ,or may be the contrary ;)

MurciaDailyPhoto said...

I think you've managed to show the beauty of nature in motion.

Sharon said...

Beautiful bird and great photo! I'm glad to hear he had some friends around. He looks a little alone in this shot.

USelaine said...

How ya doin', B.? You okay?

Michaela said...

Hahaha. That duck-thing is hilarious. I've been grumpy lately also. I'm sure finding some grass would make us both feel better.

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks all for your comments. I'm fine actually, just a touch of seasonal affective disorder - my genes are definitely those of a person who should be living in the tropics. Victoria is usually quite sunny even in winter but the last few weeks we've been really socked in under gray skies. The mergansers were perfect therapy - they were so vibrant and active - quite difficult to photograph - they darted and dived and squabbled (or flirted) constantly.

CeciliaGallerani said...

I like this one, too. Love how you've framed it.

Victor said...

Gorgeous image Benjamin. And thanks for the tip on Green Cuisine!

Benjamin Madison said...

MKH - thanks. I still tend to photograph things with the object of interest in the center of the frame. It's only later that I remember the composition rule of thirds and crop the photo accordingly.

Thanks also, Snapper. Yes, Green Cuisine is well worth a visit if you are inclined towards food that is both delicious and vegan.

Jill said...

I've not had the pleasure of seeing one of these in person, only in photos. The first time I saw a wood duck I couldn't believe it was real!

Eric said...

Outstanding Shot.