Custom Search

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Mosaic

This very 60's looking building was in fact built during that decade and served for many years as an office building. More recently it was converted to condominiums in order to preserve the ambitious tile mosaic that gives the building its name. The part of Fort Street where it is located used to be known as "Antiques Row" because of the numerous antique shops and auctioneers on that stretch of the street. It is also home to some trendy restaurants and home decor shops and local merchants now describe the area around the intersection of Cook and Fort Streets as "Mosaic Village."

5 comments:

JoJo said...

I totally didn't notice this in October. How far down on Fort Street? I went as far as the Pink Sugar Cupcakery. And as I recall, there was still a ton of scaffolding along the sidewalks. Every time I go up to Victoria, there is scaffolding on Fort Street.

I must admit that I have been let down by "Antique Row" ever since I first explored it in 2004. There aren't that many antique stores up there at all. Not near as many as I'd expect for a place called Antique Row.

Jack said...

The mosaics are pretty nice, but I sure don't understand the logic from a real estate perspective of obliterating the view from so many units.

Mike Laplante said...

JoJo:

http://www.timescolonist.com/Changing+times+Antique+Dealers+struggle+with+economy+shifting+tastes/3922305/story.html

boromax said...

Terrific photo of an unusual edifice. I'm intrigued by the triangular windows at the edges of the mosaic.

RedPat said...

There is certainly a lot going on in that buildings design - could use some editing?