Custom Search

Friday, June 4, 2010

Mushrooms

A bit of summer crept through the bleak and stormy weather we've been having so I took the opportunity for a walk in Mount Douglas Park to see what the rains and cool weather have brought out of the ground. Everything was very lush and I saw some nice flowers but I'll start with a couple of shots of some mushrooms I encountered. I don't know what genus or species these mushrooms are so if there are any mycophiles amongst my readers I hope you will take a shot at identifying them.

6 comments:

Dean Lewis said...

Fascinating and great close-ups. Every time I walk through the woods I wish I had a botanist with me. The 'shrooms require their own micro-environments and just the right conditions to flourish.

dave said...

Beautiful shots. I cannot see a photo of mushrooms on the forest floor without thinking of my father who took me mushroom hunting when, it seemed, I was barely able to see over the caps.

JoJo said...

I think the bottom one is called Agaric or Fly Agaric. And I only know that because of playing a game on Facebook called 'My Fairyland'.

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks for your comments Dean and Dave. JoJo - I think you've got the right family for the spotty mushroom and thanks for pointing me in that direction - but because it's brown rather than red I'd vote for it being Amanita Pantherina.

Lynette said...

Exquisite, especially that first photo. Wow.

Cocall said...

No, thats not the fly agaric, that would be Amanita Mascarais, brilliant red with with dots. Benjamine is correct, this is the Amanita Panterina ... the Killer of Death.