Custom Search

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Satin-flower (Olsynium douglasii)

Here is the spring wildflower I found on the summit of Highrock Park last week, the beautiful and delicate Satin-flower (Olsynium douglasii). That's the name given to it by Lewis J. Clark (Wild Flowers of British Columbia), who writes that it's also called Purple-eyed Grass. I like the name Satin-flower because there is such a distinct satiny sheen to the petals. I've seen these wildflowers before but never in such numbers as this year. I suspect I've usually been too late to catch many of them since they are very early bloomers.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lovely shot. Do you mind my asking what kind of camera you have?

JoJo said...

That's so beautiful, esp. with the crisp water droplets. Alas it snowed here again. :(

Benjamin Madison said...

@JoJo - Thanks and sorry about the snow. We're really having an early spring here.

@Stephanie - I shoot with a Sony Alpha 55 and Fern shoots with a Sony Alpha 200. They're good cameras but I think what makes photos like this satinflower is the close-up lens I use - a Tamron 90mm macro lens.

Virginia said...

Raindrops on flowers sets my photographer's heart to singing!
Lovely capture.
V

William Kendall said...

That's a lovely shade of purple!

Stephanie said...

Well the lens did the job, Benjamin. The clarity of the colors, the water droplets are just gorgeous to look at. Thanks for responding!

Stephanie said...

I came back to look at this photo again. Just love it!