Custom Search

Friday, May 6, 2011

In-Flight Entertainment

We have had very low tides recently and the consequent exposure of tidal flats that are normally covered with water seems to be encouraging increased activity amongst the Great Blue Herons. While I often see one on my morning walk along the West Bay Walkway, I seldom see more than one. Yesterday I saw three in various places along the walkway fishing in the shallows where the water is normally much deeper. I also saw a River Otter just offshore yesterday but there was little of him visible but his head popping up above the water from time to time to do some vigorous chewing and swallowing.


Why Great Blue Heron? When I look at the above photo I see lots of gray, some black and orange, some yellow and white but no blue of any shade. There is also a "Green" Heron which is equally un-green if the photos are anything to go by. One doesn't mind if the Latin names for plants and animals don't communicate much except to ancient Romans, but generally one expects the common names to refer to some distinctive aspect of the plant or animal. Oh well, sometimes life is just plain disappointing. Things don't make sense and there is not even any good reason for the confusion.

8 comments:

SRQ said...

Nice capture. Even though they're a big target, those GBHs can be a challenge to shoot in-flight.

Mike Laplante said...

That is a great action shot!

JoJo said...

Outstanding shot! I would love to have been at Willows Beach for the extra low tides. That's the best beachcombing experience I've had in years!!!

On a side note, last night I had a terrible nightmare that I arrived in Victoria on the ferry, and discovered I'd forgotten to bring my camera!!! :O I was horrified to think that I'd have to buy a disposable camera!!!

Stefan Jansson said...

This is a great photo of the heron in flight.

Leif Hagen said...

Your timing was perfect to snap this wonderful photo! We see a lot of white egrets around here - a "blue heron" cousin, I think?

RedPat said...

Fabulous action shot!

Jack said...

Excellent mid-flight capture of this big bird.

Dean Lewis said...

Wow, another terrific close-up, and in flight yet.
I had no idea their markings and colours are like that.