Custom Search

Friday, May 20, 2011

Floating Hotel

Victoria is now well into cruise ship season and between now and October we will see hundreds of these huge floating luxury hotels. The one pictured above is the Radiance of the Seas while it was making the turn to enter the Ogden Point Cruise Ship Terminal. The rocky point in the foreground on the right is Work Point, which marks the western side of the entrance to the Inner Harbour. Ogden Point is just off camera to the left. Click the name of the ship above for a virtual tour of its interior. These ships are quite extraordinary and are much removed from the ocean liner I boarded 50 years ago the first time I crossed the Atlantic. In those days an ocean liner was a means of transportation. Now it is a way of life. Some of these ships have been built as condominiums where the residents live aboard more or less permanently and decide collectively where to cruise, etc.

9 comments:

JoJo said...

WOW! What a great photo! The craggy, snow covered Olympics make a fantastic backdrop!

Carolyn said...

I personally don't like the big ships but this is a stunning photo! Have a great long weekend.
Smiles

Christina Klas said...

wow. I had not heard of the condo idea. Oh to be able to afford to do that!!! Cruise ships are neat, but I hope they don't block your gorgeous view all summer!

PinkPanthress said...

Would you believe me, if I told you that thanks to the Title, the cruiser looked to me, as if it was flying over sea & shore? :D

Really great shot!

biebkriebels said...

A beautiful photo with the snowy mountains. I would never go on this ship, I don't like such a holiday, but there are lots of people do. They are so big it is almost an apartment-building.

Margaret said...

Exceptional photo!

Dean Lewis said...

I had the wonderful opportunity to do a seven-day work-aboard trip drawing on this very Royal Caribbean ship in September/03.
Seeing Alaska was great, but the luxury of accomodation was more than half the experience. I'd recommend it to anyone.
At fourteen levels, I thought I would never learn my way all around, but I did.
There were two pool tables in one pub/restaurant that had motor-driven gyro-stabilizers to correct for the ships motion, which was significant on our trip. Very cool.

Stefan Jansson said...

Fantastic photo. You could sell it to the company.

Mike Laplante said...

This ship is currently in drydock in Esquimalt. My son is working on it as a welder.

Sweet photo...