Custom Search

Monday, October 4, 2010

A Trot of Joggers

Now that I'm taking a morning walk every day I have noticed other people out walking, jogging and running. While there are many lone joggers There are also a surprising number of groups of people jogging together - such a distinct social phenomenon that I figure it deserves a new collective noun to describe it. Hence, I propose the word trot to indicate a group of joggers, as in "a trot of joggers" thumped past, or "a trot of joggers" puffed around the corner.

6 comments:

Jack said...

Trot of joggers! I'm going with it. Good for you on walking. I have worn a pedometer daily for about five years. It reminds me to get walking. The American Heart Association encourages walking at least 10,000 steps (around five miles) a day. I make that most days.

Dean Lewis said...

Like the motion-blur caught here.

'Trot' works, short ..succinct. Something like 'pod' of whales.

For a very large trot, steamrolling along, endangering dog-walkers and lone individuals in their path, perhaps 'joggernaut' ... ?
-

JoJo said...

I love it! Perfect name! Plus there's safety in numbers.

Anonymous said...

As a runner, I have always hated the word 'trot' to denote running. It's overused. Every Thanksgiving for the last 50 years, holiday races all over US have been called "Turkey Trots". Enough with the trots, already. If you want to capture the inner experience of a runner, and the appearance of a talented runner (though not me) to others, "a glide of runners" would suit better.

Benjamin Madison said...

Thanks Jack - I've been slow to come to it - exercise always seemed a little foolish to me.

Dean - joggernaut is great but the vision is disturbing.

JoJo - yes it seems my little exercise in neology has been successful.

Benjamin Madison said...

Anon - I like a glide of runners but I think there's a distinction between runners and joggers. I thought about a canter of joggers - but it's not as euphonious as a trot. How about a gallop of runners? To me that suggests the speed and noise that runners generate....