Custom Search

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Street Furniture Revisited

Some time ago I did a short series of photos on street furniture - objects such as bike racks and benches. Another kind of furniture is also found in our streets, actual house furniture that has been discarded and left on the roadside. Sometimes, when the furniture is clean and in good condition, this is motivated by a real wish to be charitable and the furniture is left outside for anyone who wishes to take it away and use it. Much of the time, however, I suspect it is simply easier to leave it outside on the curb than it is to recycle or dispose of it properly. In any case, if you walk or drive around this city you will often see furniture and other items left on the street. I don't remember this happening when I was young forty or fifty years ago and I wonder what it says about changing attitudes towards furniture/possessions/charity/recycling....

3 comments:

Dean Lewis said...

Something of a cool phenomena in Victoria, being so affluent, there is a lot of sharing of the 'excess'. I dare say we have some of the best second hand stores anywhere.
This photo has a interesting 'twist' to it giving it a bit of an'edge' and sense of candidness. Works with the urban/street subject.

JoJo said...

We've had a Gazelle exercise thingie down by the street w/ a 'free' sign on it for weeks and no takers....

Hey loved your other street furniture posts! I keep adding more things to my list of things to see for myself. My itinerary is going to be next to impossible to manage. lol

Unknown said...

Up until 6 or 7 years ago the City of Victoria had a "large garbage pickup" day, which rotated through the city..I remember getting great stuff in Rockland! Since it has been discontinued the "free" furniture has proliferated.It is further added to by the fact that Value Village, etc don't accept furniture unless it is in really good condition (once borrowed a truck to take one there and was refused..Hence, a big mess!!