Custom Search

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Moth

Sometimes when I am out with my camera I am looking for a specific thing or a specific category such as birds or flowers but often I am omnivorous and just shoot whatever I see that looks interesting. (One of the joys of retirement is that one no longer has to be focused.) So for the next few days there'll be photos of some of the local fauna encountered during my last couple of field trips. The moth above was spotted resting on a tree near the Sooke Potholes. I don't know what kind of moth it is and if there are any lepidopterists out there I hope you will attempt an identification. (It's odd how important size or scale is - if this moth were as large as an eagle we'd all know its name.)

2 comments:

Dean Lewis said...

Ha ha, sure, if it was giant size, it would be known as Mothra and do battle against Godzilla.

JoJo said...

If this moth was the size of an eagle I'd kill myself. God I hate bugs. lol No idea what this guy is called though, but he has some interesting markings.