Custom Search

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Vic High

Victoria High School, Victoria, BC, Canada


Victoria High School, Victoria, BC, Canada
The massive pile of granite and brick above is Victoria High School, the oldest secondary school in Western Canada. It started out as a two room log cabin in 1876. Wikipedia has a good short history of the school you can read by clicking here.I didn't go to Vic High but I graduated from a similarly massive neo-classical style of secondary school in our neighbouring city of Vancouver. This seems to have been the favoured style for secondary schools during the first half of the last century. It's a very solid style of archictecture that places education squarely in the classical tradition. Education has changed a lot in the last 50 years and, as can be seen from the separate entrances to the left and right, so has society. With the information revolution and the internet, I would be surprised if there are any recognizable schools a hundred years hence. Buildings like the above will be little more than museums for an age that's rapidly passing.Victoria High School, Victoria, BC, Canada

3 comments:

Laura said...

I went to that High School. One kind of cool tradition is for all the grads from the graduating class to walk up the stairs to the attic (a room that is locked for most of the school year) and sign their name on the wall. It's a pretty amazing sight to walk into the dimly lit room and see signatures from thousands of people who have graduated in the past.
Thanks for featuring Vic High. It definitely brings a smile to my face :)
~L

Kcalpesh said...

KoOL Looking structure! You've shot it in a great angle! Looks really nice!

- Pixellicious Photos

Stevenson Q said...

Wow! This is like the coolest High School Building I have seen so far! And I am pretty sure full of History as well! I would never exchange my high school friends but academically, if only I had the chance, I would love to study High school again and all the experience that comes with it especially the ones that my own never gave us the chance to experience! Very Nice Photo Benjamin!

And Thanks so much to Laura! I really love your story about that Graduating thing! That is really really cool!

I've been gone from teh Daily Photo Blog for like 7 months to focus on our University Tehsis but it was all worth it because we did pass!

God Bless you and your beautiful Blog Benjamin!

Steven^^