Custom Search

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sussex Place

Sussex Place, Victoria, BC, Canada

The tallest building in the above photo is Sussex Place, one of my favorite downtown Victoria buildings. One reason I like it is that I have a fondness for art deco buildings. But I also like to see new buildings that echo or incorporate pre-existing heritage features. Sussex Place (the tower) was built in 1995 as part of a reworking of the old Sussex Hotel, originally erected in 1938. I also like Sussex Place because every time I've been there there were always people hanging out, drinking coffee, waiting for friends or shopping in the courtyard. You can read a little more about Sussex Place HERE. And, for those interested in architectural history of Victoria, there is an interesting short essay HERE. Sussex Place, Victoria, BC, Canada
Sussex Place, Victoria, BC, Canada

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Great photos. I too like the combination of old and new and new being built like old! Does Victoria still retain it's building height restriction? Thanks for sharing.
Smiles