Custom Search

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Snow Light

Something I've never noticed before is how the light changes when it snows. This photo was taken around ten at night during quite a heavy snowfall. You can't see the flakes falling because of the long exposure (30 seconds) but what is remarkable is that one can see anything at all under heavy cloud at that time of night. Yet the yard was nearly as bright as if it were under moonlight. My only explanation is that it is the city lights reflecting off the low clouds and the snow as it is falling and also bouncing back off the white snow below. Whatever the reason, it's a lovely soft light.

The photo above is my back yard. Even in the photo below, taken shortly afterwards out front, the snow seems to soften the normally harsh street lighting.

10 comments:

escamillaweddings said...

okay, that is a LOT of snow.

Laurie Allee said...

These are magical. I have so little experience with snow... this might as well be taken from another planet. I'd love to see this snow light!

Babzy.B said...

two beautiful shots ,yes the snow gives a special and magic light !Happy Xmas from FRance !

Wayne said...

I notice that glow in the sky too but I get a headache when I try to figure out the cause, so I don't.

Laurie, Victoria is from another planet.

raf said...

Lovely photos of light and shadow with snow. That's quite a bit of the white stuff you have over there. Love the composition too of your backyard exposure and how little things add so much interest like the touch of smoke(?) at the chimney and the buried bike in the shadow.
All the best of the season to you and yours!

Jabba said...

I don't know what causes the light to change in the winter either, but I like your explanation.
I grew up on the prairies and I remember nights when it was so bright that you could practically read a book in the middle of the night.
Gorgeous photo of the tree in your yard - I know it's just a street light, but the way it lights up the tree is beautiful!

Arctic Dakini said...

Snow is amazing...you know the Inuit have hundreds of words for the different kinds of snow we get in the arctic...I wonder if there's one for "Victoria 2008 - A white Christmas"?

Sharon said...

Wow, beautiful photos.

USelaine said...

Beautiful forms and patterns, those branches make. Stay safe and warm, blog brother. Merry Christmas.

Michaela said...

Oh gosh! The bottom shot is my favourite. That tree is gorgeous with snow on it. Simply breathtaking.