Custom Search

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella)

We were out at Durrance Lake yesterday and I was able to photograph this Twelve-spotted Skimmer (Libellula pulchella) when he was kind enough to bask for a while on the end of this twig. We should all feel grateful when we see one of these since their preferred diet is mosquitoes. I've been reading a bit on dragonflies. Apparently their four wings can all be operated independently and that is how they can fly with such precision. They're fascinating insects and it's nice to know they are on our side.

4 comments:

dieter michalek said...

wonderful shot !!!

JoJo said...

Great shot! I know I shot a pic of one like that not too long ago. Didn't know what it was called!

William Kendall said...

A different kind of dragonfly than what I'm used to- beautiful capture!

Stephanie said...


Stunning shot!