Custom Search

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lichens, Mosses and Succulents

While most of our plants go into dormancy during this cold season, there are a few kinds that flourish, those modest little rock-dwellers, lichens and mosses. Around here they are often joined by little succulents, such as those below. I photographed these within the last couple of days and their rich colors and healthy appearance remind me that winter has its benefits and beauties as well as its inconveniences.(This post was jogged into place by a recent comment from fellow CDP Blogger, USElaine down south in Willits, California.)

8 comments:

Babzy.B said...

your photos are beautiful ,i like winter when it's cold and sunny as it is in my region now !

USelaine said...

These are gorgeous images of all that lush life right under our noses! Thank you, Benjamin!

Walker said...

Beautiful post. I love getting up close to see what otherwise would go without me being aware of it.

Jabba said...

I too am an avid lover of mosses. I love how the lichen in the top photo look like golf tees.

Copenhagen said...

Love plants:)

Suzanne said...

Your pictures are not only very beautiful to look at but you give so much information with them. It's like studying in the most pleasant form.
Suzanne

Knoxville Girl said...

I've taken a lichen to these shots too. which inspires me to post one that I took on a recent hike (although it won't be this good)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - thank you. The world in a grain of sand, & a forest on a piece of rock eh? It was wonderful to see what the melting snow revealed under our feet, a whole vibrant world had been resting underneath. And the headstones in Ross Bay Cemetery are blooming with life ...