Custom Search

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Craigflower School II


Above is the Craigflower schoolhouse. When it opened in 1855 it had 26 students, many from Craigflower Manor on the other side of the Gorge. Other students were boarded in the upper portion of the building. To the side is an old pump, probably formerly the source of water for the school and its residents. I have a sentimental fondness for pumps. When I was very young I used to spend summers on my grandparents' farm and I well remember their pump and the wonderful coolness of its water on hot and dusty summer days. I'm sure the kids who went to this school also loved this pump and they must have enjoyed the view of the Gorge from their playground (below). Tomorrow we'll have a look at nearby Craigflower Manor.

1 comment:

Walker said...

Terrific images and history.