Custom Search

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Johnson Street Bridge

Who can pass up a rainbow? The blue tangle of girders on the left is the Johnson Street Bridge, the first bridge over the Gorge as it leaves the Inner Harbour. It is a double span bridge, one span for the E & N Railway, cyclists and pedestrians and the other for cars. Both spans can be raised for ships with high masts. It was built in 1924 and is a bridge of the Bascule type. The photo below shows the large counterweights that enable the spans to be raised easily and are characteristic of this type of bridge.

6 comments:

freefalling said...

I just saw the kid with the gun, in your profile photo.
I'm sure someone not as shallow as me, would have something profound to say about it.
I just thought it was funny!

Kris McCracken said...

Great capture. That sure is an interesting looking bridge.

USelaine said...

Nice to have that pedestrian there, rehearsed and posed just so. Cue the rainbow - quiet everybody!

Stevenson Q said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stevenson Q said...

Benjamin, Such an interseting Bridge! None of those are found here at my country! I also want to thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment to my site! I really am so thankful^^ God BLess you!

Steven Que
Cavite Daily Photo

PS. I'll add Victoria Daily Photo Link to my friendly Daily photo list^^ Come back again next time^^

Mark said...

YAY RAINBOW!!