Custom Search

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Creamsicle

Popsicles were actually invented by someone, a man named Frank Epperson. He claimed to have invented it in 1905 when he was 11 years old. The invention came about when he left a stick in a glass of soda outside overnight and found it frozen in the morning. He called it the Epsicle. His friends and later, his kids, loved it. They called it "pop's sicle" Later he patented the name "Popsicle" then sold the patent to a larger company. The Creamsicle being advertised on this old sign, a creamy vanilla center surrounded with orange flavored frozen juice, seems to have been a later development. My personal favorite as a small boy was another spinoff, the Fudgesicle, a chocolate version of the Creamsicle. One summer I remember that I considered my deep appreciation of the Fudgesicle as a primary part of my identity. There were boys who liked Popsicles and there were boys who liked Creamsicles but I was a boy who liked Fudgesicles. I also liked Jelly Donuts but that's another story.

4 comments:

JoJo said...

Creamsickles are good but like you I liked the fudgesickle, or as we said it here in this region, 'Fudgeickle'. Love that old license plate btw. It would look nice in my collection.

Stephanie said...

Yeah, the Fudgesicle was yummy.Great shot!

William Kendall said...

I haven't had one of those since I was a kid!

Unknown said...

Ya, I loved fudgesicles too as a kid. Wait, I still love them now. And so does my daughter. And revels too. We just had revels yesterday. Gotta go now ....................... for some more ice cream.