Custom Search

Thursday, April 30, 2015

HMCS Winnipeg

On any excursion out to Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse I am always reminded of Victoria's strong and lengthy association with the navy. During the city's earliest years it was of course only accessible by ship and many of the early ships visiting here were Royal Navy vessels. Canada's main Pacific Naval Base is located in Esquimalt Harbour, directly across from the Fisgard Lighthouse. On my last visit out there I was lucky to see the frigate, HMCS Winnipeg, leaving the harbour. This vessel has been active in anti-terrorist operations in the Persian Gulf and against piracy off the coast of East Africa. It is also used for policing the waters off our Pacific Coast.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

Quite an impressive craft!

JoJo said...

My friend's husband is in the Navy and they were stationed in Victoria for awhile; I met her once up there and once when she came to Washington. Then the same summer I moved here, he was transferred to Ottawa.