Custom Search

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pale Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio eurymedon)

I like to know the names of the various kinds of life that share this environment with us and regular visitors here will know that I am an enthusiastic if inept birdwatcher. I also like to identify our local flowering plants, especially when they bloom so joyfully in spring. Insects seem to be a bit harder for me to identify so I am happy when I can put a name to an insect species I have not identified before. The photo above is of a Pale Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio eurymedon) photographed "puddling" on some damp sand at Agate Beach on Cordova Bay in Saanich. My field guide informs me that these butterflies "puddle" when they sit on some damp sand or earth and suck up moisture and mineral nutrients that they need for breeding.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Good catch. I have not seen any butterflies here yet.

JoJo said...

I just bought a season pass to the butterfly garden here. Unlike Victoria's, this one features regional/seasonal ones.

William Kendall said...

A beautiful butterfly!