Custom Search

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)

These Caspian Terns (Hydroprogne caspia), no doubt hearing of my frustration with my latest birding adventures, contrived to pose in perfect stillness while I clambered ever closer. In fact aside from one's distress at an encroaching seagull (left) they hardly moved for a half an hour while I crept closer and closer. I have seen Caspian Terns on Esquimalt Lagoon before but never so close up. Technically these photos are an improvement on my latest bird photos (these, at least, are in focus) but aesthetically I still have a long way to go. The photo on the left nicely shows the dark underside of the wing that is characteristic of these terns and gives some indication of their size in comparison with our ubiquitous seagulls.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

How nice of them to stay put for you! It paid off with some great shots. I saw a humongous pigeon today but he flew off before I could get a picture of him. I was surprised he took off so fast for as big as he was.

Stephanie said...

Great shots!

William Kendall said...

Striking looking birds. I can imagine from the second shot that they can be noisy when they want to be.