Custom Search

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pumpkin Graveyard

Here's an event that seems to be developing into a Halloween tradition. Every year after Halloween is over people take their carved jack o'lantern pumpkins to Mount Douglas Park and line them up along the roadside or rail fences. It seems to me I noticed a few other pumpkin dumping grounds in recent years but I can't remember where. In any case there were many more pumpkins this year at Mount Douglas Park than when I first noticed this custom a few years ago. It seems a very fitting tradition in that it is probably illegal to dump pumpkins like this and an intrinsic part of Halloween has always been the upsetting of norms and rules. It's also very striking to see many carved pumpkins decaying together like this - it seems appropriately ghoulish.

5 comments:

JoJo said...

Kinda sad really...Abandoned Christmas trees make me sad too.

William Kendall said...

It does seem sad, yes...

Stephanie said...

yes sad but makes for great photos like this one.

Margot said...

aww so sad ;(
But really nice photo anyway!

Mike Laplante said...

Somewhere on my pages, I featured a similar image taken a couple of years ago. Travel the highway between Qualicum and Port Alberni and you'll see hundreds of these lining the highway.
I was told that people do light them up after dark but I never confirmed that. I'm dubious though because some of them are a long way from the nearest house...