Custom Search

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Mahatma Gandhi and I


This is a "Somewhere Saturday" post when I take a break from Victoria and look at some of the other places where I have dwelt or visited. One of the highlights of my visit to India in the spring was to have lunch at the Imperial Hotel in Delhi. Above is the imposing entrance to the hotel and to the left is one of the marble-floored hallways in this most luxurious of 5 star hotels. The dining room was superb and the lunch was a memorable meal. As we were leaving the maitre d' approached me and asked if I was aware of the history of the table where we had dined. When I said no he went on to tell me that discussions for the partition of India between Gandhi, Nehru, Jinnah and Mountbatten were held at this hotel. After the day's negotiations the men often sat in the chairs and dined around the very table where we had just lunched. It still gives me a little thrill to think I sat in a chair that once may have held Mahatma Gandhi.



2 comments:

JoJo said...

Do you go to India on business or for pleasure?

Unknown said...

Hi,
Punch into google search
BRAINWASHING PROCESS OF GANDHI- VADAKAYIL.
Wake up Indians !
Know your heroes!!
Do not worship false gods!!!.
Capt ajit vadakayil
..