Custom Search

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pink Anthers

I took so many photos on my recent visit to Swan Lake that it is going to take some time to process them all. I don't like to post photos of plants until I have identified them but the flowers above are so lovely and, with their pink anthers, are so unusual I thought I might see if any visitors here know what they are. These blooms were on a large, bushy tree with quite distinctive leaves also. Suggestions welcome.


11 AM: Nothing like a mid-morning nap to let the sub-conscious go to work. I woke up just now with the thought that this plant was Hawthorn and when I checked my field guides it seems to fit the description. This is most probably what is called Common Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna). It's an introduced or invasive species. There is, however, an indigenous species called Black Hawthorn but I think the leaves identify the one above as the introduced species. Common Hawthorn has a lot of folklore attached to it, not the least of which is an ancient association with Mayday. You can read about its folklore HERE.

2 comments:

SRQ said...

Lovely! Wish I could help you identify them, but unfortunately, I am horrible with botany, horticulture etc. But, I like your shot a lot.

JoJo said...

Those are so pretty! We have a flowering tree in our front yard and can't identify it. I'll have to shoot pics once it blooms and have you help me!

Word verif: Shisto