Custom Search

Monday, May 10, 2010

Broad-leaved Stonecrop (Sedum spathufolium)

I have a special fondness for cacti and succulents of all types and I am happy that we have some growing here. One of the most common around Victoria is Broad-leaved Stonecrop (Sedum spathufolium).The rosettes of leaves pictured above are not always red but may be a beautiful frosty green depending on how much direct sunlight they get. The flower bunches (left), however, are always bright yellow. These particular stonecrop plants were photographed on rocks near the Fisgard Lighthouse.

4 comments:

JoJo said...

Have you ever seen the succulent Ice Plant that runs rampant along the coast in Northern California? I know it's considered a non-native pest plant, but I find it just beautiful with gorgeous flowers in purple, white and yellow.

T. Becque said...

Nice textures and colors here.

Evgeni @ van365.ca said...

Wow! I never knew that cacti grow on Vancouver island. I mean, it's not a very dry and hot place... Little did I know:)
The red one is especially beautifull! Nice photos!

Benjamin Madison said...

Jojo - yes I love those ice plants: Click here!

Thanks, TB.

Evgeni - Victoria is much drier than Vancouver and gets far more sunshine. Though the two cities are quite near to each other their climates are quite different.