Custom Search

Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Everything Photo

I have a bad photography habit that I am trying to curb - I usually try to get everything into one shot, as in the photo above. Note the nifty period lamp and the hanging flower baskets, the Legislative Assembly Buildings, the Inner Harbour Lower Causeway, The Inner Harbour crowded with the boats of the currently running Classic Boat Show. And those are just the main items - there's other things there to distract your attention too. I suspect this habit harks back to the days of film when taking photos was an expensive activity and one naturally strove to get as much into each photo as possible. I've made rules for myself such as there should only be a single subject for each photo, and I try to follow them. But still when I come home from a day's photography I always find at least a few of the "everything" photo. It's a hard habit to break.

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

A busy image like this one can be a visual treat, though.

The Furry Gnome said...

Still a nice photo. How about cropping it so that building on the lower right is minimized?

JoJo said...

Personally I love your everything photos! I can't get enough of Victoria!

Jack said...

Yes, but. Rules are made to be broken. Still, if you had stepped forward to where the man is climbing the stairs, you could have had a nice and simpler photo of the government building in the background framed by a cluster of boats in the foreground. Do lots of boats make it an "everything photo" or does the group as a whole read as just one thing, "a group of boats"? Who knows. I suspect I would have liked it.