Custom Search

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Aphid

We've looked at many spring arrivals lately and here's one I overlook often, all the bugs that pop into our consciousness when the weather warms up. I don't notice Victoria's bugs much because I lived in Africa for many years and having had close personal association with the Tumba Fly (you DON'T want to know what it does), malarial mosquitoes and other serious life-threatening insects, I consider our local bugs to be pretty benign, aside from those considered by gardeners to be pests. I guess that would include the aphid pictured above, though I suspect, like the Boll Weevil, she's just "lookin' for a home." Aphids, according to Wikipedia, are "...a highly successful group of organisms." There are over 4,400 species and if you read the Wikipedia article you will agree that they really are remarkable in a surprising number of ways. For example, in the summer they reproduce by live birth and some of their offspring may even be producing their own tiny offspring before they are born. I actually set out this morning to photograph the Crane's Bill this aphid is sitting on. These little flowers are so small I got out the macro lens and when I focused down in macro mode I saw this little green bug, nearly invisible to the naked eye. Crane's Bills are members of another very successful zoological group, the genus Geranium.

5 comments:

Andy said...

Excellent view! Most people are unaware of the mini world of life that surrounds them.

Francisco Manuel Carrajola Oliveira said...

Um belo trabalho fotográfico.
Um abraço e boa semana.

The Furry Gnome said...

Didn't even notice the bug til I read your caption!

JoJo said...

Had to look up tumba fly. Eegads.

William Kendall said...

Terrific macro shot!