Custom Search

Monday, June 15, 2015

Vic West Skateboard Competition

Last weekend the annual Vic West Skateboard Competition was held at the Vic West Skateboard Park. As usual it was, in current parlance, "awesome". I am always impressed by the wonderful skills of the participants and the dedication and focus they bring to their sport. Despite this intensity it's not a cutthroat competition like many sports these days. Here the overall ambience is mutual support. Everyone is trying his best and when someone performs really well everyone is happy. What's more remarkable is that the kids seem to have created this ethos themselves in what is essentially a fringe, neglected sport. Here's a few photos that may suggest a little of the grace and skill displayed by even the youngest participants.

2 comments:

JoJo said...

My friend's oldest son is into skateboarding. I did it a little bit when I was a kid but I was too chicken to try any tricks. Bad enough I wiped out just riding the thing on a flat surface.

William Kendall said...

Terrific action shots!