Custom Search

Saturday, April 26, 2014

TheView from Beacon Hill

Victoria is blessed with a lovely little park right on the edge of the city center, Beacon Hill Park. The "hill" rises above Finlayson Point and Dallas Road and is graced on both the south and north sides with Camas meadows and bits of Garry Oak woods. At this time of year the Camas are blooming and the hillsides are dusted with their deep purplish blue. In the view above we are looking southwards across the Strait of Juan de Fuca towards the Olympic Peninsula in the USA. On the left is a spindle whorl that marks this as one of the locations sacred to the Native Peoples of this area.

3 comments:

JoJo said...

I think I drove up there but I don't remember. The spindle doesn't look familiar. I think I see a freighter out there in the Strait.

William Kendall said...

A beautiful view, and you picked such a lovely day to go there, too.

Stephanie said...

I am looking forward to seeing this park next month. Beautiful view.