Custom Search

Monday, March 10, 2014

Year 7 Begins

As we start a new year on Victoria Daily Photo I thought I would post a photo that reminisces the first photo I published on this blog back in 2008 - a photo of my shadow on the trunk of one of the Gary Oak trees that are so characterstic of this city. Above is a photo of myself taken just prior to my recent departure for Maui. I am reflected in the eye of one of the figures that make up Bill Reid's incredible sculpture, The Spirit of Haida Gwaii, The Jade Canoe. It's an extraordinary work, magnificent and unique, and if you're ever in Vancouver International Airport, don't miss the chance to see it. That would be like passing through Rome and not bothering to look at the Sistine Chapel. Below is a photo of the whole sculpture. I chose a photo that happens to have a child in it to indicate the monumental scale of this work.

5 comments:

JoJo said...

Wow that's a really cool sculpture for sure! Have fun on your trip...or are you back already?

Benjamin Madison said...

Hi JoJo - We just got back yesterday. Maui was great but it's nice to be home too.

@Stephanie: Yes we will be posting a few photos of our trip to Maui but not for a while (I took over 1,000 pics so I need to look them over and see if any are worth sharing.

William Kendall said...

Marvelous sculpture!

I'll have to check my photos- I'll be posting it sometime in April, but the Museum of Civilization here has a plaster sculpture variant of this one.

Stephanie said...

It is a magnificent sculpture! I was in Bill Reid's studio when he started working on this piece in a smaller scale. He had great humor and wit. He was a friend of a friend of mine.

Carola said...

Congratulations!
This first one is great.
I like to follow your blog, it's a long time now. Still wonderful photos.