Custom Search

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Red-breasted Mergansers

Above is a photo of a Red-breasted Merganser couple, the only one I've seen this year. As usual with ducks the male is the brightly patterned one. While I have not seen Red-breasted Mergansers earlier this year, there have been many Common Mergansers here and I've posted photos of them before. For comparison, a pair of males and a single female Common Merganser are pictured to the left. All of these birds were swimming around offshore from Clover Point on Sunday.

3 comments:

Mike Laplante said...

Took a photo of one of these a few weeks ago but I simply classify anything on the water that's not a seagull, heron or cormorant under the general category of 'duck'. Now I know it's name!

Stephanie said...

Love these birds!

William Kendall said...

Splendid captures!