Custom Search

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Landscape 1

In my recent forays into the wilder parts of Victoria in search of birds to photograph I always find myself captivated by the scenery though I often ignore it. However, lately I've been appreciating it a bit more and trying to explore landscape photography - in particular, the landscapes we have around here which are unique to this general area. What we are looking at in the above photo, for example, is a fairly typical Garry Oak Ecosystem scene. Wherever Victoria has not been built or paved over, this kind of landscape (or remnants of it) can be found. This photo was taken on the summit of Pkols (formerly known as Mount Douglas).

6 comments:

Mike Laplante said...

Has Mt. Doug been officially re-named? I thought that it was still under consideration but that no decisions had yet been made...

Benjamin Madison said...

@Mike Laplante - I suppose it depends on whom you consider to be official....

JoJo said...

Are those rocks in the background?

Stephanie said...

Majestic trees!

Benjamin Madison said...

@Stephanie - Yes, these Garry Oaks are impressive and every one has its own unique character.

@JoJo - yes, those are rocks - you know how Victoria is all built on rock that is seldom very far below the surface and often pokes up through the thin soil like this.

William Kendall said...

Good shot... very appealing kind of place, I think.