Custom Search

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Salmon Spawning in Goldstream River

Nearly every year I go out to Goldstream Provincial Park to see its famous salmon run and, generally, I am too early or too late. I usually see only a few salmon struggling upstream but not the legendary "run" when the fish are so solidly packed in the river you can walk across on their backs. Not, at least until this year. Fern and I were out there a week or so ago and the shallow river was full of large salmon. The photo above will give you a little idea but to really experience how many fish there were take a look at the video below. The chattering children in the background testify that this is a favorite field trip for school children at this time of year. It truly is an amazing spectacle and if you ever have the opportunity to see it, don't hesitate.

5 comments:

JoJo said...

Never got to see it in person in WA either.

William Kendall said...

I find myself wondering what the gull is thinking.

Stephanie said...

Great shot and video!

hamilton said...

This is something I usually just miss seeing, too. That gull has a pretty good viewing spot, though!

The Furry Gnome said...

It is an amazing sight, isn't it!