Custom Search

Friday, November 14, 2014

Coral Fungus (Clavulinopsis corniculata)

To continue the theme of weird shapes of mushrooms or fungi, here is another one I always enjoy seeing at this time of year, a Coral Fungus. They are not related to those little organisms that make reefs but are named because of their similar appearance to some oceanic corals. There are about 30 different kinds of fungi loosely grouped as Coral Fungi. This one is distinctive enough so that I will venture to identify it as Clavulinopsis corniculata.

4 comments:

Andy said...

It definitely is a weird and new shape to me. I have never seen fungus like this in Ontario.

William Kendall said...

Quite alien to my eyes!

Stephanie said...

Very very nice!

Noor al Haqiqa said...

I have never seen this fungus anywhere. It reminds me of a great rack of antlers....

Your photos always inspire me. Thank you.