Custom Search

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi)

I am happy today to share my first sighting of a species that is new to me, Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi). Several of these were perching and flying around the Garry Oaks at the top of Highrock Park Thursday morning. When seen from the back it's easy to mistake these for Robins because they are about the same size. But when I saw one from the front and realized it was missing that red breast I knew I was seeing something different. According to my field guides these birds prefer higher altitudes so I am guessing that those I saw were birds of passage on their way to higher ground for the summer. Townsend's Solitaire was named to honor the memory of ornithologist John Kirk Townsend.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's a new bird to me too. You capture it well.

Stephanie said...

A new bird to me also!