Custom Search

Friday, June 15, 2012

Vic West Skateboard Competition 2

There are some really excellent photographers who specialize in taking photos of skateboarders. Google it and you'll see what I mean. It's challenging - whether they are coming towards you, going away from you or going past you they are going pretty fast and often the trick involves sudden dives upward or downward meaning that parts of the skater suddenly move out of the frame. I'm aware of my difficulties as a photographer here but I'm in awe of what these kids are doing with these little pieces of plywood on wheels. Above, this boy has somehow managed to jump himself and his board up onto that railing fast enough so that he is sliding along the railing on the middle of his skateboard. Pretty neat, but the awesome bit is that he's sliding backwards, a situation that, frankly, I hope I never find myself in. Below, the same boy has launched himself into the air after building up speed by skating around the bowl (very similar to an empty swimming pool).
Sometimes the skateboards seem mysteriously glued to the skater's feet, but other times they are able to detach the board and flip it around in mid-air while floating above it.









If anyone knows any of these skaters' names please let me know since I'd like to give them credit for their skills.

1 comment:

JoJo said...

Great action shots! These kids are amazing.