Custom Search

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Trillium (Trillium ovatum)

Here's another of our earliest blooming wildflowers, Trillium (Trillium ovatum). It's the emblem and official flower of the Canadian province of Ontario and one of my favourite spring wildflowers. These were photographed in Mount Douglas Park last week. While I understand they grow in great profusion in some places, here I seldom see more than two or three plants together. The blooms of this particular species change colour as they age, from white to pink to maroon.

3 comments:

Andy said...

In Ontario in wooded areas they do grow to great profusion. Unfortunately they have not sprung yet. When they do I hope to get a photo like yours that does them justice.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful. They'll be along here in a few weeks...

Stephanie said...

I love these flowers. So pretty.