Custom Search

Thursday, February 18, 2010

American Robin (Turdus migratorius)

When I was very young on the Canadian Prairies, I remember having an American Robin (Turdus migratorius) pointed out to me as a sure sign of spring. I always remember that when I see one, even though those that live here on the West Coast remain all year round. It was certainly the first bird I learned to identify and is familiar even to non-birdwatchers. I photographed this one on a visit to Highrock Cairn Park in Victoria West. The woods of the park are also home to Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, Red Breasted Nuthatches and Oregon Juncos, all of which I saw today. But only the robin was bold enough to perch peacefully in an appropriate location, an example from which other less cooperative wildfowl might well learn. No wonder this courageous and well-mannered creature has been immortalized in verse and popular song.

Little Robin Red Breast

Little Robin Red breast sat upon a tree,
Up went pussy cat and down went he;
Down came pussy, and away Robin ran;
Says little Robin Red breast, "Catch me if you can".
Little Robin Red breast jumped upon a wall,
Pussy cat jumped after him and almost got a fall;
Little Robin chirped and sang, and what did pussy say?
Pussy cat said, "Meeow!" and Robin jumped away.

When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob Bob Bobbin' Along

3 comments:

Dean Lewis said...

You saw a Northern Flicker at that park !
I'm heading there asap.
They are very cool !
Large, multi-coloured and exotic looking.
Any photos ? ....

JoJo said...

I used to love the Flickers but they have decided to peck holes in the side of my house and hatch their babies in my walls. My house sounds like an aviary in the spring.

MurciaDailyPhoto said...

I love how you caught this bird. I also like the composition of the photo, the blurred background. Great.