Custom Search

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Castle Doorbell

In the spring we had a look at some of the rooms at Craigdarroch Castle in Victoria. It was built by pioneer coal baron Robert Dunsmuir. One of his sons later became premier of this province and built Hatley Castle in nearby Colwood. I spent the morning today out at Hatley Castle and its gardens. To the right is a photo of the doorbell to the castle. It makes me think that one of the pleasures of being rich must be that even the details of your surroundings can be unique pieces of art and that something as mundane as a doorbell can be a thing of beauty. I'll post more photos of this castle and its gardens over the next few days.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

What a lovely art nouveau piece! I've never been to Hatley Castle - now I'm definitely going to visit and take a look at the front door!

Thanks for your wonderful photos!